Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chapter 3

Dear Diary

Maybe I should have expected this. For the first time, MyrorMe betrayed me.

I mean, horrors, I asked it today the question I ask it everyday and for the first time, it said, ‘Snow’. Can you even begin to imagine what went through me when I heard that much detested word? For the first time, it had betrayed me.

Why does it always happen to me? First, my ambition, my singular desire, from when I was 5, crashed. The entire world seemed as if it had ended. At least, then I had my beauty. I knew that I was still supreme in something, but now, I can’t even pride about that. I was in mortal danger when my probe got detected. The King could have finished me. What saved me? Well, of course, my beauty and charm.

I hate Snow. She has everything her way: a loving father, nice friends, trust and support of everyone in the Universe, brains and now – even the best face. Possibly the only bad thing that has happened to her would be the death of her mother. But at least, she still has her father and friends and they all love her. I don’t have anyone. My marriage to the King wasn’t because he truly loved me. I know that’s what he said, but it’s not true, is it?

Make that: I detest Snow.

Artemis

***

Snow had never seen such intense hatred on anyone’s face. She didn’t ponder much about her. She had been caught bunking. The virtual teacher must have thrown a question at her. Of course, there was no one to receive the question. She had been caught in her act.

Next time, she must think of putting in an auto-answerer in her place when she felt like taking off.

***

That night during dinner, her father had some news for them. Generally, Snow had her dinner before her father. But she had been delayed that day with the extra homework she received as a punishment for being caught bunking. Given a chance, she’d have had her dinner in her room; talking online to this really cute guy she met a few days ago.

But it would be rude to do that when her father was also present.

“Snow, Artemis, I have something to tell you. Snow must be accustomed to this regular practice of mine. Artemis, the thing is, every year, I visit Jupiter and overlook my business projects there. I’m sorry it has to happen so soon after you came here. But they expect me around this time and they have some major events planned and I just cannot cut them off.”

“But, dear, how will I – I mean, everything’s so new for me here. Can’t I come with you?”
“Rubbish! Snow here will take very good care of you. Won’t you?”
“Of course father.”
“There you go honey, you will have no problems here.”
“But – er - ”
“Artemis, you’ll be staying behind with Snow. Is that okay?”
“Yes, I suppose.”

Secretly of course, Artemis was thrilled. Now she could do all she wanted with Snow. She had free reign. She knew Snow wouldn’t complain. Even if she did, she knew how to handle fuming men. She couldn’t have asked for more.

Snow of course, was used to her father’s annual JupiTrips. But this time, she would be left with Artemis and it would be a little awkward. Oh well, it wasn’t as if she spent a lot of time with her anyway.

0 comments: